Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Homecoming for a friend and memories

Today is a very special day for some friends of mine. One of my dearest friends that I grew up close to is finally getting her Marine home from war. What a special day for her. I am so thankful for Marine's like Joel, and all they do for us. I am thankful for them being out there risking their lives for my freedom. Although he won't be in Idaho for another week or so, I am very excited that he is finally out of harms way and in a sense home.

Watching Sara go through this deployment brought back a lot of memories for me. It was a hard life, back when I was a Navy wife. There was a lot that I enjoyed, and a lot that was hard for me. I hated having my husband gone all the time, but in time I got used to it. I remember the tears that I cried every time they left for more than a few days, and the feelings of being alone, and the pain it caused. I remember the good times and the bad. The anxiety that you couldn't help but feel prior to there return. I always considered myself lucky to be married to a sailor though, as I looked at it as at least he's safe when he deploys. I didn't have to live through the fears that I saw Sara, so much like a sister to me, try to hide. Would he get shot, would he be injured, worse yet would be killed? All the hardest parts of being married to a soldier. I never lived with those types of fears. I remember how exciting days like today were, knowing that it would be soon that I would have my love back in my arms again. Although I do not miss him, sometimes I do miss the life. I always felt as if I mattered, and that just by keeping our home running, I was doing my part in serving the country as well. I do miss that. I miss the companionship I had with my fellow Navy wives, and the friends that I made while he was serving. Although I wouldn't go back to those days, I do miss them. Its not just the waiting for one sailor, but seeing all the joy we all went through together, and watching my friends come home as well. I really miss the guys that I made friends with on the boat as well. I do hope to someday again find the love that I thought I had then, that can withstand a deployment, and endure all things. Maybe someday I will have that again. But for now, I will hold my head up high, and enjoy being a single mom with two beautiful children to love.

Today though, I ask my friends and family to celebrate with Sara, with the other Marine Corps families, and with America for the safe return of some of our heroes. I want to celebrate! Thank each and everyone of them for their service, and welcome them home! You guys are amazing, and I am so glad that once again some of our heroes have returned!

No comments:

Post a Comment